Being prepared is important to achieving an optimal response to your procedure. It is very important to follow these instructions for your safety and comfort during the procedure. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at Northwest Portland Periodontics and Dental Implants Phone Number 503-222-2844 during regular business hours.
Medications: Take prescribed medications (such as blood pressure) as directed. Please let us know if anything has changed with your medical history. Please also make us aware if you are taking any blood thinners (i.e. Aspirin, Plavix, and Coumadin). If you are diabetic please bring your medications & monitor with you to your appointment. Please take 800mg of Ibuprofen (Advil, Mortin or generic) starting one hour prior to surgery and continue to take Ibuprofen at 6 hour intervals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for at least three to five days post operative.
Smoking: Make every effort to minimize smoking for 12 hours before the start of your procedure.
Prescriptions: We will call in your prescriptions the Friday prior to your surgery. Please pick them up prior to your surgery date. Some surgeries will require you to start taking antibiotics prior to your surgery date. Please alert our office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if Dr. Hovey or Dr. Corning determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness.
Clothing: Wear clothing that is not restrictive to the neck, arms or stomach. Wear loose-fitting tops, so that the sleeves can be rolled up to the shoulders and please avoid dresses.
Music: You may bring your phone, iPod or MP3 player and headphones with you if you like.
Our office offers IV Sedation for longer cases or for patients with dental anxiety. Please ask about the fees associated with IV Sedation, this is often not something standard dental insurance will cover. If you are scheduled to receive IV sedation, please follow these instructions before your scheduled appointment:
- Designated Driver: If you are having sedation you must have a responsible adult, over 18 years old, drive you to and from your appointment (you will not be able to drive for the remainder of the day). Following the procedure, the designated driver should escort you home in a vehicle and remain with you until you are fully awake. We do not allow patients to take a taxi home after they have been sedated.
- Food: No food or opaque liquids (ie. milk, OJ, etc.) for six (6) hours before the start of the procedure. (i.e. if you are not scheduled for your procedure until after 11:30 am, try to eat something in the early morning, then abstain from eating until after your procedure). If you are diabetic and required to eat something in the morning then follow the guidelines that have been given to you by your physician.
- Liquids: Clear liquids are allowed up to two (2) hours before the start of procedure (ie. water, black coffee, cranberry juice, etc.)
Our office has a fee to monitor you while one oral sedation, you will be responsible for this cost and the cost of the prescription at your pharmacy of choice. You may also be prescribed an oral sedative in addition to IV sedation.
- Prescription: You will be prescribed four (4) 0.125 mg Halcion pills at your local pharmacy. Take two pills one hour prior to your surgery. Bring the two remaining pills with you to your appointment. You can not drive once you have taken this medication and for up to 12 hours after taking the medication.
- Consents: You will need to sign your consent(s) before oral sedation. Either arrive 1 hour early, or we can e-mail them to you. If you need to reach our office please call us at (503) 222-2844. In case of an after hours dental emergency please call Dr. Hovey’s personal number at (503) 805-9319 or Dr. Corning at (520) 289-5961.
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Ensure/Slim Fast/Protein Shake
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese